Any home with a system that is controlled by either associate electronic or mechanical timer ought to admit obtaining one sprinkler. Upgrading to a smart sprinkler controller is also a great way for people to easily keep their lawns in top shape as it prevents over and under-watering. A smart sprinkler system has many advantages including saving money on your water bills while ensuring that the watering of your lawn is properly done without being worried about soggy lawns. Most smart sprinkler systems are capable of automatic shut off when it’s raining, so you can leave your home without being worried about turning off the water. Below describes some of the best smart sprinkler systems with their pros and cons.
RAINMACHINE (THE FORECAST SPRINKLER)
- Ultra-modern and sleek unit with touch screen controls.
- Makes use of different weather data sources to calculate the volume of needed water.
- Water Sense certified. It displays detailed information and comprehensive graphs.
- It can be quickly and easily setup with a user-friendly interface.
- Good schedule & save water – it saves water during weather changes. (Epa Water Sense certified)
- It continues to work even when the Wi-Fi connection is cut-off.
- Free Weather Data – The app gets direct access to NOAA, METNO or Wunderground, Open Weather Map, NetAtmo. It also uses National or Personal Weather Stations for pinpoint precision.
- Management from anyplace – color touch screen, iPhone, and Android, PC browser access with dashboard stats.
- Improved WIFI, Hundreds of Schedule and UI improvements. Integration with Alexa, Google Home, Nest, WINK, Smart Things via IFTTT are all among the features of RainMachine.
- This smart sprinkler controller has a relatively high price.
RACHIO (SMART SPRINKLER CONTROLLER)
To use this controller, all you need to do is to download the Rachio app to fret for your field remotely in conjunction with your smartphone, tablet or laptop, use a connected home system or run zones directly from the controller itself.
- Uses weather intelligent technology to regulate watering times and volumes consequently.
- Water Sense certified.
- Watering schedules can be customized based on customizable zone input.
- It can be easily installed, programmed, with many functions.
- Well-suited with master valve, pump relay, or indexing valve
- Adapts to your lawn. Set your schedules or input details like plant sort and sun exposure to let Rachio mechanically water your field with precisely what it has to thrive, and not a drop more.
- Solely with rachio – rain and wind skip. Rachio Weather Intelligence uses comprehensive weather information to mechanically alter your irrigation schedule supported the most recent native forecasts.
- Reduce the users’ water bill by up to five hundredths whereas keeping your garden healthy. EPA Water Sense certified – eligible for utility rebates of up to 100 percent off.
- Works with prime smart-home platforms, including Amazon Alexa and Google Home – more than any other smart sprinkler controller.
- Easy installation by yourself – no special tools or experience needed. Operating temperature: -4°F to 140°F
- Cannot be mounted outdoors without purchasing the appropriate case.
- For some, navigating the app takes a bit of getting used to.
- For Wi-fi connection, 2.4 GHz required. Supports dedicated 2.4GHz and dual-band networks. However, cannot operate on 5 GHz only networks.
NETRO (SPRITE SMART SPRINKLER CONTROLLER)
- Complies with local water regulations/restrictions.
- Utilizes weather forecasts to mechanically alter watering schedules and volumes.
- Self-learning feature compiles a customized schedule supported in-app user history.
- Handy plant library with 1,000+ species.
- Automatic – EPA Water Sense certified, vigorously makes and adjusts watering schedules optimized for your plants/lawns
- Lifetime Cloud Service – Connects to Wi-Fi (2.4G), monitors and controls your sprinkler system anywhere from iOS (8.3+), Android (5.0+) devices and Web browsers
- Eco-Friendly – lay aside to five-hundredths of your outside water use with advanced water-saving technologies as well as meteorology and historical statistics
- Water Restriction – Alerts and motorcar complies to the watering rules in your native space
- Simple Installation – Installs or replaces in around quarter-hour with basic tools. No professionals required. Indoor use only
- Lack of clear instructions can cause some initial hiccups, but these are usually quickly resolved thanks to excellent customer service
ORBIT (B-HYVE SMART SPRINKLER CONTROLLER)
The B-hyve app is functional for Android, iOS or web devices and gives you control anywhere you need it. Program your timer on the app, at the time, or let the weather-based software create a program for you
- Features WeatherSense technology for personalized watering based on individual garden conditions and local weather forecasts.
- The robust, weatherproof case can be mounted indoors or outdoors.
- Easy installation and use.
- Smart watering – Weather Sense technology provides watering based on site conditions such as slope, soil type, sun/shade, historical ET and live weather feeds.
- It mechanically adjusts your controller to deliver the correct quantity of water to your plants.
- You can exploit the swing panel for easy access to the angled wiring stations, which makes wiring simple and suitable and the plug-and-go line cord that can also be cut for hardwired applications. App Compatibility- iOS – iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch running iOS 8 and higher. Android – Android version 4.3 and higher
- Certified to save water and money – B-hyve is EPA WaterSense approved and certified, ensuring it will save you water and energy. This can also make your B-hyve timer eligible for local rebates, which can save up to 100% of the cost on your timer.
- Durability and security – The Orbit B-hyve Wi-Fi sprinkler timer comes in a weather-resistant case, allowing you to mount your timer indoors or outdoors without risk of weather damage and a locking cabinet that keeps your timer safe from harm.
- Water-saving – Integrates your B-hyve timer with use of Catch Cups (Orbit 26250) to save up to 50% more water than with traditional controllers. Optimizes the method you water, so you can keep everything lush and green without much cost.
- Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control.
- North American electrical outlets compatible and compliant. International versions square measure on the market for markets outside North America.
- Initial Wi-Fi setup/pairing can be a bit tricky.
- Not the most elegantly designed unit.
RAINBIRD (ST8I WIFI SMART IRRIGATION CONTROLLER)
- Saves water by automatically adjusting to weather/seasonal fluctuations.
- Uses the same wires as standard timers for hassle-free installation. Easy to program and use. Shareable access.
- Versatile 3-way timer control via Wi-Fi, mobile device or directly on the control panel.
- New and Improved model 2.0 WiFi timer; features numerous upgrades and replaces the Obsolete ST8O-WIFI model
- WiFi signal conveniently places control of your time in the palm of your hand
- Easy to program; allows access to timer functions from anywhere in the world
- Well-matched with: Amazon Alexa, Apple iOS 8 or greater, and Android 4.4 (KitKat) or later
- Access timer functions via a wireless network, in-range mobile device, or directly through the control panel
- Everyday watering schedule adjusts automatically based on season, local weather, temperature, and humidity.
- Enables Notifications in the Rain Bird app to inform you of what is happening in your yard even when away from home
- Watering Delay feature suspends watering from 1 to 14 days; programming resumes automatically once the delay has ended
- EPA Water Sense certified to deliver at least a 20% water-savings over non-certified timers
- Somewhat lacking in features.
- The manual watering feature only works one zone at a time, requiring a manual startup for each consecutive zone.
It can be challenging in the hot summers with old-fashioned irrigation system timers. They run regardless of the weather – even if it’s pouring rain – which can be a waste of energy and resources.
Many smart sprinklers offer similar features, but since this is a new technology, it may pay off, in the long run, to go for a high-end model. These better controllers offer a much greater ability to save water. One of the best things about a smart sprinkler controller is the ability to forget about it. Once the system is set up, you can let it run and rest assured your lawn is getting the water it needs and not one drop more.